Sunflowers are remarkably stable and grow fine in slightly acidic soils featuring around pH6.0 to 7.5 alkalines. They are regarded as sturdy as they grow in any soil, and the requirement is the soil should not be waterlogged. A sunflower garden can tolerate drought once sunflowers begin blooming. They raise as they plant themselves.
Tips to Plant Sunflowers In a Sunflower Garden
- Maintain 6 inches space to plant seeds and place it 1 or 2 inches deep. If it is a sandy soil, set it 2 inches deep.
- Keep it covered and watered for 7 to 10 days until the seeds sprout.
- Sunflowers mature beginning with a set of leaves and thin plants appearing to 2 feet.
- The seeds develop within 80 to 120 days.
- You may sow in every 2 to 3 weeks a new row and enjoy blooms continuously.
- Maintain 2 to 3 feet distance to ensure maximum seed production.
Growing Tips For Sunflower Garden
- The advantage of sunflower roots is that it even withstands droughts as it spreads widely. Watering them is very important during their growth, and this is 20 days of watering after and before flowering. Regular, deep watering ensures good root growth and results in taller varieties of sunflower.
- No fertilizing required for sunflowers as they grow in 3 months to 6 feet. However, if you have are aiming to have a sunflower garden, you can add granular fertilizer if the soil is thin. Add mulch layer of organic material to 2-3 inches to avoid moisture loss.
Tip: No overdoing nitrogen as it delays flowering.
- Give support to growing sunflower plant varieties when they are rising more than 3 feet. Their branches are brittle and so tie plants loosely using a cloth or any soft material to stakes.
- Squirrels and birds can be kept away using barrier devices. You can cut the leaves close to the heads so that birds cannot feed perching on it. Place a barrier of chicken wire with bamboo stakes of 6-foot to keep deer away.
What Are Sunflower Diseases and Insects?
Sunflowers get fungal diseases such as mildews. It withers the leaves and sunflowers die. Commonly, the oldest leaves get infected first. The warm, humid days and cold, damp nights cause tiny spores, and this is passed on by garden tools.
Early spotting of fungal diseases is helpful. Spraying garden fungicide helps in healthy foliage. Destroy infected plants. Clean plant debris and disinfect tools in household bleach and water as 1:4 ratios.
Keep checking the sunflower garden flower heads. As the reverse side turns yellow-brown and their heads nod downwards, as maturity signs. Harvest seeds, store in a dry, warm place. After the seeds dry completely, brush them using your fingers and let it dry and once it is dried store it in glass jars. Sunflowers also grow in containers and pots as small varieties, but it also needs the same care, sunlight, and fertilization.